Planning a trip and not sure where to stay in Paris? Use this curated list of the best places to stay in Paris.
These Paris self-catering rental apartments offer you that home-away-from-home experience.
Whether you are travelling solo, as a couple, with friends or as a family – I’ve selected options by the number of bedrooms, by budget and by neighbourhood. This list includes some of the best areas in Paris. Whether you’re visiting for the first time or your 10th time, get to know the arrondissement you will be staying in and choose the right one for you.
Table of Contents
About the Areas to Stay in Paris
Paris is divided into 20 arrondissements, known as the districts of Paris. Each has its own town hall (Mairie) and mayor (Maire). The arrondissements of Paris are not to be confused with Parisian Quartiers or neighbourhoods. Those are smaller areas within an arrondissement. For example, the Saint Germain neighbourhood is in the 6th arrondissement.
If you look at the map, the 1st arrondissement is in the centre of the city. Then the other arrondissements form a spiral turning clockwise finishing in the 20th arrondissement. Many compare this layout of Paris to a snail shell. Simple isn’t it?
As you explore the city, an easy way to figure out which arrondissement you are in, look for a street sign affixed to the side of the building, there’s one on every corner on the streets of Paris. It will tell you the name of the street and arrondissement.
Also, when looking at the address of a place, such as Jardin du Luxembourg is on Rue de Vaugirard, 75006 Paris France. The last 2 digits ’06’ indicates it is located in the 6th arrondissement.
OK, now let’s find you your next Paris holiday rental.
Best Places to Stay in Paris – 1st arrondissement Lourvre
The first arrondissement is the best area for sightseeing. Sitting on the right bank, this area has the fewest number of residents in Paris, but the highest number of tourist attractions.
There’s no denying that it’s one of the most beautiful areas of Paris. The elegant architecture of the Palais Royal and the Louvre, as well as, Jardin des Tuileries and Palais du Royal are the most popular attractions to see.
- Romantic Cacoon – a quintessential Parisian-styled studio with a separate kitchenette oozing with charm, located steps from Tuileries Garden and Place de la Concorde €€
- Chez Vous – a cozy 1-bedroom with original floors and beamed ceiling close to Palais Royal €€
- My Mona Lisa – a light, bright 2-bedroom with gorgeous floor-to-ceiling windows Juliet balcony and modern furnishings located close to the Louvre €€€
- Lady Louvre – a 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom modern interior with original features of chevron floors, beamed ceiling, and stone wall located near the Louvre museum €€€
Best Places to Stay in Paris – 2nd arrondissement Bourse
The second arrondissement is the best area to explore secret passageways and pretty streets. Tucked away behind the 1st arrondissement sits the smallest arrondissement in Paris.
This quaint area is full of history. From its covered passageways from the 1800s to rue Montorgueil is known as one of the last remaining streets to operate as a permanent market since the 12th century.
- Chic Pink – a pretty pink and white studio filled with light from the windows with a Juliet balcony located in the Vivienne neighbourhood €€
- Ivory Butterfly – a light and bright 1-bedroom scandi-modern styled apartment €
- Free as a Bird – a cozy 1-bedroom with a walkout to a tiny terrace close located in a quiet area €€
- Chocolatier – a gorgeous 3-bedroom, 3-bathroom home with a balcony that has all the classic original French details with mid-century furnishings €€€€
Best Places to Stay in Paris – 3rd & 4th arrondissements Le Marais
Le Marais, in the third and fourth arrondissements, is the best neighbourhood for old-world charm. The Marais is one of the most popular areas of Paris, both for locals and tourists.
It’s an area of must-see streets, hidden courtyards, quaint gardens and a vibrant Jewish community. Lots of cafés, restaurants and a thriving arts community add to the draw to this part of Paris.
- Chapeau – a cool minimalist studio in a 17th-century building in the heart of the Marais has an artsy vibe €
- Bonnard’s Place – a large 1-bedroom featuring a great mix of old and new stylings is located in a tiny Jewish area in the 4th arr €
- Beaming Green – an elegant 1-bedroom mezzanine studio in the 3rd arrondissement- a stylish apartment in a great location €€€ READ MORE: about my stay in this apartment
Best Places to Stay in Paris – 5th arrondissement Panthéon
The fifth arrondissement is the best area for lively nightlife. Known as the Latin Quarter, this area on the left bank is home to the Sorbonne university, founded in 1257, as well as several other schools and colleges.
The Latin Quarter has a vibrant and bohemian vibe. Expect an eclectic mix of restaurants, shops, cafés, and bars. The botanic gardens of Jardin des Plantes and the domed Pantheon can be found here.
- Chez Gertrude – a large 1-bedroom is full of bright colours and design choices €
- The Muse – a 1-bedroom in the Latin quarter features a spiral staircase to a bedroom in the mezzanine €€
- The Remedy – an open concept 1-bedroom on Boulevard de Saint-Germain has old-world Paris features with modern furnishings €€
- L’Art du Plaisir – a cozy 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom in La Sorbonne has a quintessential lived-in Parisian feel €€€
Best Places to Stay in Paris – 6th arrondissement Luxembourg
The sixth arrondissement is known as one of the prettiest and quintessential areas of Paris. Often referred to as Saint Germain, a popular neighbourhood in the 6th, where you will find some of the city’s best historic cafés and restaurants.
Boutique shops, the second oldest church, St-Germain-des-Prés, and the beautiful Luxembourg Garden are also the top sites to visit.
- Dragon’s Nest – a bright 1-bedroom with a full modern kitchen and furnishings €€
- Voyage of the Beagle – a cozy 1-bedroom with bold modern furnishings in the heart of Saint Germain €€
- Charming Tournon – a cozy 1-bedroom features original exposed beams located near Odeon €€
- The Grey Stripes – a comfortable 2-bedroom with classic Parisian details seen in exposed brick walls, beamed ceiling, and wood doors all with soft gray linens €€
- The Lodge – a gorgeous 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom apartment close to Jardin du Luxembourg is stylized in modern Provencal décor €€€
- Assas II – a comfortable 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom family-friendly apartment close to Jardin du Luxembourg €€€€
Best Places to Stay in Paris – 7th arrondissement Tour Eiffel
The seventh arrondissement is home to some of the most well-known landmarks of Paris. Eiffel Tower, Les Invalides and Museum d’Orsay all can be found here.
This area of Paris also features the most elegant and chic tree-lined residential streets where the Eiffel Tower pops into view. One of the most famous food market streets in Paris, rue Cler, can also be found here.
- Purple Grape – tiny, yet pretty 1-bedroom with a view of the Eiffel Tower €
- Chouquettes – a trendy 1-bedroom makes great use of this tiny space is located near the Eiffel Tower €€
- The Leopard – a gorgeous 1-bedroom with a view of the Eiffel Tower from a tiny terrace €€€
- Pink Lady – a cozy, yet stylish 2-bedroom in a residential area off the street level €€€
- Loops & Squares – a comfortable stylish 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom located on quiet elegant residential street €€€
- Tourville – a spacious and stylish 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom apartment near the Eiffel Tower €€€€
Best Places to Stay in Paris – 18th arrondissement Buttes Montmartre
The 18th arrondissement is home to the quintessential neighbourhood of Montmartre. This area of Paris feels like a village, away from the busyness of the city and is one of the most romantic places in Paris.
The romantic narrow hilly streets around the Sacré Cœur feel like you’ve been transported back in time. Musicians come to play, artists come to draw and unfortunately, tourists come in droves. But, it’s all part of the charm.
- The Boudoir – a playful, cheery, retro-styled 1-bedroom €€
- Monkey Business – a cozy 1-bedroom retreat in the trendy Pigalle neighbourhood €€
- The Piano Factory – a hip 1-bedroom located in a former piano factory feels like a loft space with original features €€€
- Monochrome Games – a chic black and white 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom is in a boutique hotel with 24/7 concierge service €€€
- Pinot Noir – a large 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom open concept space featuring original wood floors and mouldings €€€
Where to stay in Paris for sightseeing?
The best areas to stay in Paris for sightseeing include the 1st arrondissement, as well as the 4th, 5th and 6th arrondissements.
Where to stay in Paris for shopping?
For shopping in Paris, some of the best arrondissements to stay in are the 1st, 6th, 8th, and 9th. The 4th and 11th are also good options for trendy and eclectic boutiques.
Where to stay in Paris for the first time?
For first-time visitors to Paris, it’s recommended to stay in central areas like Le Marais, Saint-Germain-des-Prés, or the Latin Quarter, as they offer easy access to top attractions and have a lively atmosphere with plenty of restaurants, cafes, and shops.
Where should tourists stay in Paris on a budget?
Tourists on a budget should consider staying in areas outside of the city center. Some of the best arrondissements that offer budget-friendly accommodations and restaurants are the 9th, 10th, 11th, 19th and 20th.
What is the most elegant part of Paris?
The most elegant part of Paris is the 16th arrondissement, which is known for its grand Haussmannian buildings, upscale residential areas, and prestigious museums such as the Palais de Tokyo.
What are the best places to stay in Paris with an Eiffel Tower view?
The best areas to stay in Paris with an Eiffel Tower view include these arrondissements – the 7th, 15th, 16th, 10th, and 18th.
What are the best areas to stay in Paris for families?
The best areas to stay for families are central neighbourhoods like Le Marais, Saint-Germain-des-Prés, or the Latin Quarter, as they are close to the main attractions.
More Paris Resources
But, once you’ve booked where to stay in Paris, it’s time for the fun part – planning your itinerary!
Be sure to check out my Europe Travel page where you can find all of my Paris articles (warning, there’s a lot!).
If you LOVE EUROPEAN TRAVEL or planning a TRIP TO EUROPE, subscribe to my website! I will share my love of Europe with you, along with travel planning tips and inspiration. And, you’ll get a FREE gift for signing up – 30 Bucketlist Places in Europe! Join, and let’s be travel friends!
As a Holidaymaker
Paris has some incredible holiday rentals. Those high ceilings, floor-to-ceiling windows, and mouldings. Each one mixes the old with the new. Making it just…je ne sais pas…Parisian chic. I always love to stay in an apartment rental over a hotel. There is just something about coming back after a long day and relaxing in your very own space.
Hopefully, you found your next holiday rental in Paris.